It goes without saying that kayaking can be an extremely fun and enjoyable experience. This is even more so the case when you are sharing it with a friend or a family member. Tandem fishing kayaks are specifically designed for that purpose and are undoubtedly a wise investment for any avid kayaker. In this guide, we will go over the main features of these kayaks and we will review some of the best tandem fishing kayaks available on the market today.
The key factors you should know when picking the best tandem fishing kayak
Before making a purchase decision, it is essential you familiarize yourself with the main factors that contribute to determining the performance and overall quality of these kayaks. Here are a few of the points you should focus on when you are looking for the best tandem fishing kayak.
Space is a crucial factor for tandem kayaks. The option you opt for needs to provide enough space for two adults. Kayaks that are too small will invariably make you feel restricted and unable to move freely. Check customer reviews to get a better idea about the spaciousness of each model.
For the sake of convenience and practicality, your kayak should be light so you can transport it overland with relative ease. Kayaks that are light can reach higher speeds and are usually easier to maneuver.
Since the kayaks discussed here are designed for fishing, getting a model that comes equipped with fishing mounts is ideal. However, if you are an experienced kayaker, you still have the option of going the DIY route and installing one yourself.
Level of Comfort
Just because kayaking can be an intense activity it does not mean that you can’t be comfortable while doing it. For adequate comfort, the seats that come with the kayak should have enough padding to provide a decent cushion for your back. Also, it is preferable that you go with a kayak that features built-in footrests.
Track Record of the Manufacturer
This is a critical point that many beginners neglect. It is important to note that the price and advertised features don’t always tell the whole story about a product. The kayak industry, in particular, is plagued by subpar models from obscure brands that are trying to capitalize on the popularity of fishing kayaks. To avoid getting fobbed, always go for established brands like Intex, Vibe, and Sevylor.
Reviews of the Best Tandem Fishing Kayaks
The first pick in our guide goes to this amazing model from Driftsun, a company that is slowly establishing itself as a reliable manufacturer in the kayak industry. The Voyager is very easy to inflate and the double action hand pump it comes with is effective and simple to use. Besides this, the kayak is characterized by remarkable compactness and lightweight construction, which makes it easy to transport and store. It is also worth noting that included in the package is a heavy-duty carry bag specifically designed in accordance with the kayak’s dimensions.
As far as build quality and durability are concerned, this kayak exceeds what you would normally expect from options in this price range. Thanks to a robust PVC construction and a stable tarpaulin bottom that protects it from punctures, this kayak can withstand the rough handling that inevitably comes with kayaking. It also features an 840D coated nylon Oxford fabric top cover that is tear resistant.
While immense durability and overall efficient design are two of this kayak’s major highlights, the biggest selling points are without a doubt its tremendous performance and maneuverability. The Voyager has the capacity to glide across any body of water at a decent speed while providing you with easy and smooth control.
- It comes in a package that includes a host of valuable accessories and extras
- The kayak is very maneuverable and easy to control
- The PVC construction gives it immense durability
- The tarpaulin bottom is effective for preventing punctures
- It is compact and light
- The inflation process is extremely quick
- The kayak can be a little small to accommodate two adults
- The design of the paddles is somewhat flimsy
This affordable kayak is a great option for fishing enthusiasts who like to enjoy the experience with a close friend or a family member. It boasts a stylish design that incorporates various shades of green, giving the kayak a sleek military look guaranteed to make it stand out. The craftsmanship that went into making this model is outstanding and the durability of its 18-gauge PVC construction makes it perfect for tackling lake currents.
One of the highlights of this kayak is without a doubt its innovative airtight system. Thanks to this feature, the Sevylor is one of the few entry-level models that are completely leak proof. Also, it is equipped with multiple air chambers that help maintain the kayak’s performance in case one chamber is punctured. However, punctures are not something you have to worry about because the bottom of the kayak is made from a solid 1000D tarpaulin and protected by an 840D nylon cover.
The kayak has other qualities that are worth mentioning. For instance, the double-threaded Boston Valve is highly effective with regard to facilitating the inflating and deflating process and the D-rings are extremely valuable when you want to attach extra equipment to the kayak.
- The price is quite low considering the number of valuable features
- It has a sealed airtight system and multiple air chambers
- The nylon cover is ideal for preventing punctures
- Inflating and deflating the kayak is made easier by the double-threaded Boston Valve
- The D-rings make attaching equipment an effortless process
- This model is NMMA certified
- It does not come with clear and detailed instructions
- The design of the fishing rod holders could use some improvement
This sporty kayak is one of the most affordable models on the market. It comes in a well-packaged set that includes two 86 inch aluminum paddles and an intuitive high output pump for easy inflation and deflating. It boasts an efficient and streamlined design that makes paddling very easy and ensures a wide range of maneuverability. As for the aesthetic aspect of this kayak, the bright green color and sleek graphics are quite unique and stylish. More importantly, these colors are extremely helpful for increasing visibility in the water, especially during bad weather.
Despite being an entry-level model, the Intex Challenger K2 is extremely rugged and durable. It owes this to its high-end vinyl construction that gives it immense resistance against a wide array of elements, namely punctures and prolonged exposure to UV rays.
Thanks to the relatively narrow dimensions of this kayak, overland transport is a fairly simple process due to the fact that you will be able to store it in the trunk of your car with relative ease. On top of this, it is remarkably light for a tandem kayak.
- This is by far one of the most durable entry-level models on the market
- The kayak is very easy to control and maneuver
- The build quality of this model is flawless
- The vinyl construction is durable and exceptionally resistant to the elements
- Its lightweight construction makes it highly portable
- The price to quality ratio is quite high
- The seat is not that comfortable
- The netting on the front of the kayak appears a little badly positioned
A fishing kayak guide would not be complete without a model from Advanced Elements. This option, in particular, scores full marks with its great design and diverse set of features. Combining an eye-catching orange finish with a sleek metallic grey and a sharp and compact build, the kayak exudes an undeniable air of high performance and precise control. With that being said, it is essential to note that these design elements are not merely for stylistic purposes. As a matter of fact, every little detail of the AdvancedFrame is geared toward boosting maneuverability and improving tracking. Some examples of this include the light construction and the built-in aluminum ribs.
As we have come to expect from all Advanced Elements products, the durability of this kayak is outstanding. Besides boasting a robust construction, it also features triple layers of thick material that ensure complete protection from punctures as well as from the other kinds of damage that are associated with kayaking.
In order to provide users with the utmost convenience, Advanced Elements has opted to sell this kayak pre-assembled. The only thing you have to do is to unfold the kayak, inflate it, and attach the seats. You can expect to be on the water within a few minutes of un-boxing the AdvancedFrame.
- This kayak comes completely pre-assembled
- It features triple layers of thick material for extra protection
- The design is very sleek and original
- The built-in aluminum ribs are effective in improving tracking
- The seats are well-padded and comfortable
- Comes equipped with an integrated pressure relief valve in the floor
- It does not come with a built-in footrest
- Inflating and deflating the kayak can be a bit strenuous and time-consuming
Capping off our list is this competitively priced fishing kayak from Sevylor. This entry-level model has a lot going for it considering its low price; it boasts a solid 26 gauge PVC construction that gives it a decent level of durability and it features two air chambers for added security. Its spaciousness allows it to accommodate two adults in a comfortable manner and its impressive carrying capacity can handle up to 400 pounds of weight. This kayak is versatile as it can handle various bodies of water and is suited for both hunting and fishing.
As far as quality of control is concerned, the Sevylor Tahiti does an excellent job. This is mostly owed to the efficient design that ensures balanced maneuverability and the tubular I-beam floor that is extremely effective for stabilizing the kayak.
Comfort wise, this kayak delivers well above its price point. Unlike many other alternatives in its range, the Tahiti is equipped with well-padded seats that feature a comfy back support. Also, it comes with two spray covers that shield you from splashes and help keep you dry at all times.
- This kayak offers a lot of value at a very low price
- This model has a light construction and is very portable
- The construction of this model is rugged and durable
- It boasts a decent storage capacity for such a compact kayak
- The seats are comfortable
- The kayak is extremely stable
- This kayak does not come with paddles or a pump
- Figuring out how to properly control the kayak requires a little practice
Picking the best tandem fishing kayak should be easy now that you are familiar with the top 5 options on the market. Go over each review a few times before picking the one that fits your needs.