Stand up fishing kayaks can offer a unique and fun experience for beginners and experienced users alike. But in order to get the most out of them, it is essential that you get a kayak that is comfortable and easy to control. In this article, we will help you achieve this by introducing you to some of the best stand-up fishing kayaks that are currently available in the market.
What you should keep in mind when looking for the best stand up fishing kayak
While stand up fishing kayaks are not overly complex contraptions, there are still several factors you need to know of if you want to make an informed purchase decision. Below is a brief look at some main factors that come into play when picking the best stand-up fishing kayak.
This is an important factor for any fishing kayak. The model you opt for needs to provide enough storage space for most of your essential accessories and gear. This is especially critical for people who are planning to go on a multiple-day trip.
Stand up fishing kayaks come with a relatively steeper learning curve when compared to other types of kayaks. That is why it is imperative you go for a model that fits your level of experience. If you are a beginner, you should opt for wider kayaks because they are easier to handle and their margin of error is significantly larger.
Length of the Kayak
The length of the kayak determines its ability to handle different bodies of water. For example, kayaks that measure between 12 and 16 feet are ideal for gliding through calm waters such as lakes and ponds. If you want to go on a sea fishing trip, aim for something longer than the 16 ft mark. Thin and long kayaks are specifically designed to handle the strong currents of the sea.
Unless you live right across a body of water, it is safe to assume that you will need to transport your kayak overland. To make this process easier, opt for a relatively light model that is equipped with durable and easy-to-grip handles.
Reviews of the Best Stand Up Fishing Kayaks
As far as mid-range stand up fishing kayaks are concerned, you will have a hard time finding an option that can match the Zray in terms of durability and overall performance. This paddle board was specifically designed for exploration and it is the ideal choice if you are planning to go on a multi-day trip. It boasts enough storage space to carry the bulk of your camping gear and comes equipped with a profiled nose that facilitates high-speed cruising.
As previously stated, this kayak is immensely durable. The main frame is constructed using a premium board structure and reinforced by a double layer of military-grade PVC. This results in a high level of rigidity and gives the kayak the ability to withstand exposure to a host of elements. This high-end build quality makes the Zray suitable for an array of water conditions, ranging from rivers and lakes to oceans and streams.
Another tremendous quality that is worth noting is just how easy the overland transport of this kayak is. On top of being easy to inflate and deflate, the board can be rolled up to a fraction of its original size, which makes it easy to fit just about anywhere.
- It boasts a compact and light design
- The price is decent considering the number of features
- Suited for a wide range of water conditions
- Equipped with a profiled nose for high-speed cruising
- Constructed from premium military grade PVC
- Inflating and deflating this kayak is easy
- The footrest feels somewhat cheap and flimsy
- The paddle is a little heavier than we would have liked
This stand-up fishing kayak offers one of the highest quality-to-price ratios on the market. It comes in a comprehensive package that includes most of the accessories you need and it boasts a sleek and eye-catching design. They designed the board in a way that ensures more balance and stability without compromising the overall compactness of the kayak. It also features a soft anti-slip top deck that is tailored to the needs of beginners.
The good design aside, this paddleboard has a lot of the qualities and features that are usually only seen in high-end models. A prime example of this is the level of maneuverability that is provided by the SereneLife Premium. Thanks to the triple bottom panel fins, the process of steering and handling the paddle board is made extremely easy and effective. You can expect to seamlessly glide across any body of water with minimal effort.
Like most of the products we review, this kayak boasts a lot of valuable characteristics that make it travel-friendly. It is easy to inflate and deflate and its compact dimensions make overland transport highly convenient and simple.
- It is remarkably affordable considering its overall quality
- The kayak is relatively light and easy to transport
- It comes with all the essential extra accessories
- This is an ideal option for beginners
- The build quality of the board is great for the price point
- The maneuverability it offers is the best at this price range
- The instructions that come with this kayak are not clear enough
- The siege is difficult to remove
The Atoll comes in a complete set that includes 3 piece paddles with nylon blade, a detachable fin compatible with all universal fin boxes, and a heavy–duty backpack that is large enough to hold all your gear. This kayak is characterized by an ultralight construction that uses high-quality military grade PVC. This gives the Atoll the unique quality of being significantly lighter than comparable models all while being rigid and durable. It features a high-pressure bravo dual action hand pump that facilitates the inflation of the kayak.
One of the best characteristics of this kayak is without a doubt the amazing tracking it offers. The tri-fin design of the unit is effective for boosting the Atoll’s efficiency and balance. This is especially valuable for beginners who are just familiarizing themselves with stand up fishing kayaks. Besides all of this, the soft and well-padded bottom provides an ample cushion in the case of an accidental fall. As a mid-range option, this kayak provides everything you would at a decent price. Its ability to accommodate people of all sizes and levels of experience should make it worthy of your consideration.
- The compactness and lightness of the Atoll makes it easy to transport overland
- It is significantly lighter than similarly priced options
- Its tracking capabilities are some of the best on the market
- It is ideal for both beginners and experienced users
- It is immensely rigid and durable
- The warranty the manufacturer provides is fairly generous
- The paddle is a little bit heavy
- The manual pump that is included in the package is relatively outdated
This is another kayak that has been specifically built for exploration. The inflatable SUP board comes with a versatile hybrid nose that gives it the ability to undertake a wide range of activities, namely fishing, snorkeling, and touring. The Peak Expedition can handle all weather conditions and it is flexible enough to glide across different bodies of water in a smooth and effective fashion.
The durability of this paddle board is another quality that is worth highlighting. The construction of the Peak Expedition incorporates several premium and heavy-duty elements such as military grade PVC and puncture-resistant premium fabric. This will allow you to use the board however you please without constantly worrying about any potential damage to the kayak or erosion of its outer shell.
Unlike many of its competitors, this kayak is light thanks to an innovative design technology that reduces the need for excessive layers of material. In fact, the Peak Condition weights a measly 19.5 pounds when fully inflated, making it one of the lightest models on the market. With that being said, this impressive light construction did not come at the expense of stability. This is mostly due to the extra wide stance that guarantees the sturdiness of the board.
- Equipped with well-designed nose and tail carry handles
- The unique design is quite sleek and eye-catching
- It boasts a front and rear bungee system that can effectively accommodate all your gear
- It is light and compact
- The outer shell of the board is puncture-resistant
- It comes with several practical accessories that perfectly match the board
- Pumping the board might be difficult for some people
- The paddle does not feel durable enough
This is a versatile model that offers you the option of sitting or standing on the kayak. It combines speed and stability and it is perfect for most water-bound activities. It comes with a host of valuable accessories that includes 2 flush-mount rod holders and a set of integrated gear tracks that give you the ability to customize rigging as per your own preferences. The Vibe Sea Ghost Kayak features several storage options that allow you to carry most of your belonging in an organized and safe manner.
A review of this kayak would not be complete without mentioning the quality of its control. Owing to a proprietary technology that eliminates manual work from the paddling process and replaces with a pre-installed toe controlled rudder system, the Vibe Kayak can remain steady and balanced regardless of weather conditions or current strength. Despite its relatively large size, the board boasts a decent level of tracking that is not often seen at the mid-range price point.
- The kayak tracks well despite its relatively large size
- It offers a lot of storage options for all your gear and equipment
- The control and stability of this kayak are impeccable
- The price to quality ratio offered by the Vibe is tremendous
- The package includes several essential accessories
- The paddle is light and easy to maneuver regardless of weather or current strength
- The kayak is quite bulky and difficult to transport compared to other options in the list
- It does not come with any instructions for the assembly
Picking the best stand up fishing kayak is a fairly straightforward process. All the models we reviewed meet the baseline requirements for a great fishing kayak; so you can never go wrong with any of the options in this article. Make sure to read the reviews multiple times before picking the kayak that fits your budget and suits your needs.