Kayaking is one of the most fun activities you can do. It further enhances the experience when you can share it with someone you care about. That is why 2 person fishing kayaks are such a great investment for any avid water sports fan. In this article, we will focus on tandem kayaks and we will help you pick the best 2 person fishing kayak available on the market today.
The variables you should know when looking for the best 2 person fishing kayak
As with any watercraft, there are several factors that determine the overall quality of tandem kayaks. Here are the main ones you should familiarize yourself with before making a purchase decision.
For a kayak to accommodate two people comfortably, it needs to boast a decent amount of space. Kayaks that lack this quality will invariably feel too cramped, which is a sure way to ruin the experience. To make sure that your kayak can comfortably fit two people, check customer feedback to get a better idea of what to expect.
Ideally, you want a kayak that is easy to transport. Avoid models that appear too bulky and opt for ones that have an efficient lightweight construction. Besides this, the kayak should also have external handles that allow for a secure and tight grip.
As demand for affordable fishing kayaks continues to skyrocket, more companies and entering this increasingly competitive industry. The influx of new brands has also led to a flood of subpar and poorly constructed kayaks. To avoid falling for these cheap products, stick to established brands such as Vibe Kayaks and Intex.
With fishing mounts, you have the option of adding one yourself or getting a kayak that comes with a built-in deck or flush mount. We recommend the latter option if you are a beginner.
Comfort is a key factor, especially during long fishing trips. The seats should have a decent amount of padding and the backrest needs to be designed in an efficient manner so that it can provide enough support for your back.
Reviews of the Best 2 Person Fishing Kayaks
This 2 person fishing kayak comes in a complete set that includes paddles, seats, and 7 fishing rod holders. It boasts a highly efficient design that combines both compactness and balance, which helps create a fun and enjoyable experience for all users regardless of their level of experience. The sleek design coupled with its immense durability makes this kayak an ideal option for various bodies of water, ranging from oceans to lakes.
On top of its high-performance and versatility, this kayak comes with several convenient features that enhance user experience. This includes several carrying handles that are specifically designed to make overland transport easy. The kayak is equipped with waterproof storage hatches that are perfect for stashing your wallet, keys, snacks, and other valuables that could be damaged by water.
The quality of the paddles is another aspect that is worth mentioning. Unlike many other companies that settle for cheap and low-quality paddles, the BKC UH-TK181 comes with two heavy-duty paddles that are durable enough to withstand rough handling and powerful water currents. Overall, the quality of the design and the comprehensive nature of the package are more than worth the asking price.
- The kayak comes with several extra accessories
- The paddles are exceptionally durable and well-built
- They equip it with carrying handles that facilitate overland transport
- The waterproof hatches are ideal for storing your wallet among other valuable items
- It is suitable for both lake and ocean activities
- The quality to price ratio is great
- The screens are a bit loose and require tightening before use
- The paddles might be a little short for some people
The colorful patterns and sleek design are not the only things that make this kayak stand out. They include all the features you would like to see in a high-end model in this great option from Vibe Kayaks. It can accommodate a minimum of two persons and it is capable of tackling a wide range of activities with relative ease and maximum efficiency. Like the previous option, it comes with several valuable extras such as flush mount rod holders and four different mounting points. As far as mid-range kayaks are concerned, few can match this one in terms of build quality and performance.
As you would expect from a kayak at this price point; the frame is remarkably robust and boasts a weight capacity of around 500 pounds. Besides this, they equip it with several storage options that comprise two sealed hatches with bag inserts, a large bungee rear tank well, and a bow cargo bungee system. This kayak comes with other great characteristics like the optional center paddle position for solo paddling and a set of adjustable footrests for a personalized level of comfort.
- The paddles are sturdy and easy to use
- It comes with all the essential extras that ensure
- The package includes adjustable footrests for customized comfort
- The kayak is relatively light considering its great performance and immense durability
- The mounting points are ideal for various types of rod holders
- Customer service is tremendous
- The alignment of the seams between the two sections of the mold feels somewhat off
- The storage bins are not waterproof
This affordable fishing kayak is the ideal option for beginners or anyone on a tight budget. It has all the baseline qualities necessary for a fun fishing experience and it is remarkably durable considering the low asking price. Unlike the vast majority of entry-level kayaks, they constructed this model using high-quality laminated vinyl. This gives the kayak the ability to withstand the damage that stems from exposure to the sun, impact, and abrasion. Its ruggedness and high build quality did not come at the expense of compactness as the Intex Mariner is undoubtedly one of the most compact options on the market.
One of the key qualities that characterize this kayak is its great maneuverability. On top of being well balanced and easy to control, it is equipped with a convenient grab handle that makes overland transport simple and effortless. It features two Boston valves on the main hull chamber that are specifically designed to facilitate the filling and deflating of the kayak.
Considering its low price, high build quality, and easy maneuverability, the Intex Mariner 3 boat set should be the first option you consider when you are looking for a kayak below the $200 mark.
- The kayak is priced very competitively
- The build quality is impressive considering the low price point
- The flooring is highly stable
- The design is fairly compact and lightweight
- It is quite buoyant relative to other kayaks in its price range
- The inflating and deflating process is quick and simple
- Customer service seems to be an issue for a lot of users
- The motor mount looks flimsy and not very steady
This is another entry-level 2 person fishing kayak that has exceeded our expectations. It comes in a sleek camo design that exudes a high-end vibe. As for the build quality, it is immaculate, especially when you consider the affordable price. It is constructed from 18-gauge PVC, giving it the ruggedness necessary for lake use. The Sevylor Coleman Colorado is NMMA certified.
Another great thing about this kayak is that it features a sealed airtight system that is completely safeguarded against leaks, a quality that is seldom found at this price range. Additionally, it comes with multiple air chambers that ensure that the kayak is always inflated even when one of the chambers is punctured. With that being said, this is unlikely to happen thanks to the durable 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover that provide ample protection from this sort of damage.
Inflating and deflating the kayak is made easy thanks to the double-threaded Boston valve they equip it with. Some other practical features include a set of D-rings that facilitate the attaching of other equipment, several mesh pockets for storing your valuable items, and paddle holders that help secure your paddles in a convenient manner.
- The quality to price ratio is one of the highest on the market
- It is leak proof thanks to the heavy-duty bottom and sealed airtight system
- The nylon cover provides great protection from punctures
- It is easy to inflate and deflate
- It comes with D-rings for easy attaching of other gear
- This kayak is one of the few entry-level models that are NMMA certified
- The instructions are vague and not detailed enough
- The placement of the two finishing rod holders is not ideal
This is the most affordable model in our list. However, don’t let the price fool you; this is not a subpar product that will underperform or succumb to the elements. In fact, the Intex Explorer K2 comes with most of the features and characteristics that guarantee a tremendous level of functionality and maneuverability. Thanks to the spaciousness of the sitting area, the adjustable inflatable seats, and the efficient design of the backrest cockpit, this kayak is able to offer maximum comfort to anyone.
A review of this kayak wouldn’t be complete without mentioning its impressive balance and directional stability. This is further enhanced by the inclusion of a removable skeg that helps you steady the kayak in an effortless manner. As for the overall durability and build quality of this model, it is surprisingly decent for such an affordable kayak. The dimensions are quite compact and the low weight makes overland transport highly convenient. It is worth noting that this kayak is mainly designed for small bodies of water such as lakes and mild rivers, so strong water currents should be avoided if you don’t want to damage it.
- This kayak is perfect for people on a tight budget
- Its directional stability is flawless and remarkably consistent
- The kayak includes a removable skeg that helps steady it
- The build quality is decent for the price
- It is relatively light and compact
- The level of comfort it offers is outstanding
- The kayak deflates rather quickly when compared to some other options in this guide
- It does not provide enough space for storing extra gear or equipment
The process of picking the best 2 person fishing kayak does not have to be overly complicated. At the end of the day, these are fairly simple canoes that are very easy to grasp and operate. As long as you avoid models from unknown brands and stick to the ones we have reviewed in this guide, you are guaranteed to get your money’s worth regardless of your budget.